NIFT was set up in 1986. It is among the pioneering institute of fashion education in the country, providing professional human resource to the textile and apparel industry. It was made a statutory institute in 2006 by the Act of Indian Parliament. NIFT has 16 professionally managed campuses throughout India. Among the NIFT campuses, NIFT Kolkata is one of the oldest campuses. The National Institute of Fashion Technology aims to establishing the benchmark for the quality of professional that are absorbed into the fashion industry. Presently, it offers undergraduate and post-graduate courses, including B.Des, B.F.Tech and MFM in various specializations.
Admission to both UG and PG programmes is based on a student's performance in NIFT Entrance Exam, which is divided into three sections, Creative Ability Test (CAT), General Ability Test (GAT) and Situation Test/ Group Discussion and Personal Interview (GD/ PI) round.
1. Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) - 4 years:
Eligibility: 10+2 from a recognized Board of Education
- Accessory Design
- Fashion Communication
- Fashion Design
- Knitwear Design
- Leather Design
- Textile Design
2. Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech) - 4 Years
Eligibility : 10+2 (with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics).
3. Master of Design (M. Des) – 2 Years :
Eligibility : Bachelor Degree from any Institute/University recognized by law in India or Diploma of minimum 3 years duration in UG-Design from NIFT or NID.
Design Space is an advanced course that demands an understanding of fundamentals in design and presupposes that candidates would be familiar with the basic skills and theories for successful completion of the programme.
4. Master of Fashion Management (M.F.M) :
Eligibility : Bachelor Degree from any Institute/University recognized by law in India or undergraduate Diploma of minimum 3 years duration from NIFT or NID.
5. Master of Fashion Technology(M.F. Tech) :
Eligibility: Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F. Tech.)from NIFT or Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.)/ Bachelor of Technology(B. Tech.) from any Institute / University recognized by law in India.
Weightage assigned to each test in the final merit list
|Bachelor of Design||CAT GAT Situation Test|
|Master of Design||CAT GAT GD/PI|
|Bachelor of Fashion Technology||GAT|
|Master of Fashion Technology||GAT GD/PI|
|Master of Fashion Management||GAT GD/PI|
1. GENERAL ABILITY TEST (GAT) : For Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) and Master of Design (M.Des.)
- Quantitative Ability
- Communication Ability
- English Comprehension
- Analytical Ability
2. CREATIVE ABILITY TEST (CAT) : To judge the intuitive ability, power of observation in concept development and design ability of the candidate. An important aspect of the test is the creative and innovative use of color and illustration skills.
3. SITUATION TEST : Shortlisted candidates for B.Des are to take a Situation Test which evaluates the skills for material handling and innovative ability on a given situation with a given materials. No additional material is allowed. The model will be evaluated on these parameters will be checked with the write up explaining the concept behind the model constructed:
- Space visualization
- Innovative and creative use of given material
- Composition of elements
- Color scheme
- Construction skill
- Finesse of the model and Overall presentation
These parameters will be checked with the write up explaining the concept behind the model constructed.
Max radiance offers you merit based scholarship for our classroom programs. Scholarship ranges from 10% to 50 % fee waiver, based on the eligibility of the student.
Scholarships are awarded as follows:
1. Admission cum scholarship test
2. Class x or xii marks
1. Sc / st category
2. Ex radiance student or siblings